Sunday 5 January 2014

Ekiti guber: Only me can defeat Fayemi, says Fayose

Former Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose said on Friday that among the governorship aspirants of the People's Democratic Party, PDP, seeking the party's ticket to face Governor Kayode Fayemi in the next election, only him has all it takes to defeat the Ekiti helmsman.

He based his confidence on the fact that when he was just a common citizen without sufficient political experience he defeated the then incumbent governor, Otunba Niyi Adebayo in 2003 in circumstances similar to the present situation.

Now, having governed Ekiti for over three years, he said that he was the most qualified to confront Governor Fayemi in the forthcoming election.

Speaking in Ado-Ekiti yesterday at a rally to flag off his tour of local governments in preparation for the election, Fayose, despite rumour that he had secured presidential backing, insisted that he is battle ready to confront all the aspirants in transparent primaries.

His words: "I am not an advocate of consensus. I love primaries. I was one of those who fought that there should be primaries and I am ready for it financially and spiritually.

When we go to the field, we will all test our popularity among our members. I am ready to support whoever emerges through transparent primaries, even if he defeats me by only one vote. I don't take pleasure in anything that doesn't follow due process."

On the rumour that he may visit vengeance against those who orchestrated his impeachment in 2006, Fayose said, "Some said I will be vindictive, am I God? Vengeance is of the Lord."

Fayose, one of the leading PDP aspirants out of 29 that has joined the fray said: "Whether you like it or not, PDP still needs someone like me. Our party should not field someone who cannot win election.

I don't want to end at the level of candidacy the way others were thinking. I want to get the ticket and conquer for you. I want to be installed as PDP governor come October 16, which marks the eighth year of my impeachment from the government house in Ekiti and by the grace of God, I shall be restored."

Commenting on the threat posed by the gale of defection of some PDP bigwigs to All Progressives Congress at the national and state levels, Fayose said, "defection is normal in any democratic setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment